It’s NBA All-Star Weekend here in Toronto, and as usual there is no shortage of places to be and people to see here in the city. The other day, I took in the Majid Jordan show at the SoHo House and have not been able to stop listening to them since! For those of you who have yet to discover them, they are a Canadian duo comprised of Majid Al Maskati and Jordan Ullman under Drake’s OVO Sound label with Noah “40” Shebib and Oliver El-Khatib.
Last night I was sitting in bed doing work and had the Late Late Show with James Corden running in the background from the TV in my room. His musical guest was a band called X Ambassadors, an alternative rock band from Ithaca, New York. There is something to be said about raw, vocal talent because the lead singer’s voice completely took me out of the moment and had me transfixed for the entire duration of the performance. The vocal pipes on this guy are so haunting and powerful!
Take a listen to the performance below and let me know what you think. You can watch the original music video of the X Ambassador’s Unsteady, but personally, I prefer the live version much better.
That smile, that voice! I have long had a love affair with the songs of Etta James. Hers is a voice filled with raw, powerful emotion that has become increasingly hard to find in today’s musical landscape. They don’t make ’em like this anymore, kids! To me, perfection is listening to her songbook at home while cooking a nice meal for someone special or a group of friends. Red wine, mandatory.
In this week’s round of Friday 15, listen to my selection of favourite songs from Etta James’ incredible repertoire. Enjoy!
Interested in what I’m listening to? Tune in to my new weekly Spotify playlist, featuring 15 tracks to start your weekend off right! This edition, the sweet sounds of Freddie Mercury and Queen. Enjoy!
Boring video, beautiful song.
Fresh off their incredible performance with Annie Lennox at the Grammy’s, Hozier has debuted their hauntingly beautiful music video for “Take Me to Church”. Shot by the legendary David LaChapelle, it features the “Bad Boy of Ballet”, Sergei Polunin, who is currently the principal dancer of The Stanislavsky Music Theatre in Moscow.
– Frida Giannini’s replacement has officially been announced. Meet Gucci’s new Creative Director, Alessandro Michele. (via Vogue)
– Speaking of creative directors, are today’s designers overtaxed with their responsibilities? Here’s why an Image Director may be necessary. (via Business of Fashion)
– Meet Thync, the wearable device that may soon allow you to adjust your mood on command. Scary or amazing? (via Quartz)
– We’ve all been there before. Next time you strap down to get some work done, consider these 11 fantastic productivity tips. (via Inc.)
– This guy bought a watch at Goodwill for $6 and resold it for $35k. Turns out it was Jaeger-LeCoultre’s rare Deep Sea Alarm. (via Complex)
– NASA and ESA released the world’s largest and highest-res image (1.5 billion pixels) of the Andromeda galaxy. Each little dot you see presents a whopping 1 trillion stars. How’s that for perspective? (via I fucking love science)
– 74 really is the new 24! Giorgio Moroder makes his triumphant return with what sounds like a very exciting comeback album, featuring Britney Spears, Sia, Charli XCX, Mikky Ekko and more. Check out his first single with Kylie Minogue below! (via Billboard)